Monday, March 26, 2012

CLIP OF THE DAY: To good friends.

"Le cœur a ses raisons que la raison ne connaît pas." 

French philosopher Blaise Pascal said it so and it is still one of my favourite quotes. (I guess only someone who was born in a place under the definition of love could be the author of that saying on the first place)...The French - known for their love for art and literature, for food and wine, the love for pride and independence.

Also true his own quote - the heart does have reasons that sometimes even reason it self doesn't know of. Personally and in my view that often happens in a romance or over a family tie, but friends are not some sort of chemical mystery spell or a blood combination that somehow mirrors your own existence; instead, they are the only ones you truly get to choose. They will help pave your way if you allow them to...and life is better when you're together, but as you know, it isn't always easy and breezy - and just like a relationship, for good friends it also takes real commitment. The key? Probably balance and lack of competition: sometimes you are ahead, sometimes you are behind; some days you are right and surely others (not so much), there will be moments where you are needed and times when you need them. - Don't overstep and  don't forget -and be wise to distinguish one from the other. In some ways they are also like family: it takes absence of resentment, real trust, understanding, compassion...and for us a lot of stamps on our passports. Yes, I'm CLIPPING about good friends and in my case, about 8 special girls...

We all met in school, (and just like they did) - I chose them and they shaped my destiny - each and everyone of them. Casualty brought us together, routine brought us closer, and real friendship never torned us appart. In total we have lived in over  17 different countries: we left for University, for Masters, to help defend women rights in eastern countries, to fight for a love, to find one, to mend a broken heart, for marriage, to have kids, for kids, to work and for work, to teach, to set a trend or save lives in Haiti....and 15 years later we are still connected. To the bone. Why? because we chose to and we (always always always)do our best and take time to meet. What we have in common is probably that we are so different from each other in the first place. Through it all, they have cherished my victories, forgiven my mistakes; I stood by them through graduations and interviews, wedding vows and we welcomed a new generation into our own. We changed cities, boyfriends, hair colour, and some even their last names. They drive me mad - and they are completely mad to take me in. But in the end, all I really want to do today is to thank them - for always.

This Friday it was my 31st birthday and between trains from London, flights from south of France, Lisbon and even Brazil (...that and about 600 email exchanges and logistics that wouldn't fit in all CLIPs of the day) I got to blow my candles in the presence of them during (an unforgettable) weekend in Paris.


True, geography and common sense always told us we would never work  - but I guess...

     
"Le cœur a ses raisons que la raison ne connaît pas".



 

1 comment: