Monday, February 27, 2012

CLIP OF THE DAY: 'Thoughts and ideas, that is what interests me.'


Margaret Thatcher once said: "One of the great problems of our age is that we’re governed by people who care more about feelings than they do about thoughts and ideas.” Now, thoughts and ideas – that’s what interests me". 

I like that, real things. In The Iron Lady the central figure is no fiction either, she's the most famous, most controversial living Englishwoman to this day, the very first (and only) female prime-minister in the United Kingdom: Margaret Thatcher. The biopic film’s structure is confusing, but deliberately so: events in Lady Thatcher’s present (and poor mental conditions) trigger vivid memories of her past with focus on the price she had to pay for power together with her loving husband who despite it all, supported her unconditionally. Written by Abi Morgan and directed by Phyllidia Lloyd this is an absolute brilliant performance by Meryl Streep (between you and I, I was  fixed on the screen throughout the entire movie thinking how amazingly talented one can be). Her role as Margaret Thatcher granted Streep an Oscar for best actress last night, but for those who know of history and appreciate Thatcher's own legacy this movie didn't do her justice...nevertheless, I'm Clipping about it, for so many reasons: first and foremost I guess its an understatement saying  that everybody will be talking about the Oscars today, secondly and those of you who know me, know how much I enjoy history and movies, so for the ones who haven't watch it, do. I bet you, that you will come out of the film wanting to google everything about Margaret Thatcher ...and you should. I'm surely grateful for having had a British education for I was quick to learn one of her great quotes as early as my school days: "Watch your thoughts for they become words. Watch your words for they become actions. Watch your actions for they become habits. Watch your habits, for they become your character. And watch your character, for it becomes your destiny." I hope you can learn and be inspired too (even on a Monday morning...) ;--) Wishing you all a great start of the week Clippers! I.


No comments:

Post a Comment