Thursday, September 22, 2011

CLIP OF THE WEEK: Less is Maine


   
Growing up my grandfather always used to say to me: 
"The best things you will ever experience in your life will be simple and unexpected, so don't you worry too much about anything" - I must confess that I have cherished his words ever since I can remember and this is what my CLIP of the week is all about: my simple and unexpected trip to Maine, USA.

It all started with a dear family friend's - unexpected - invitation to join him and his friends on a boat journey across the inlets- 24 hours before that I was at work and getting ready for (yet another) Fashion Week after-party, 2 hours later I was packing and the following day I was up and ready to board on an 8 a.m. flight. There is a very good reason why Maine is known as "vacation-land": northernmost and easternmost portion of New England, it is the least densely populated U.S. state, called the Pine Tree State where nearly 90% of its land is forested - Its simplicity is precisely what makes it such a special place. 
After flying from New York all the way to Rockland: we finally seat at "The Landings" for some rolled up lobster (Maine specialty) - With its impressive almost 400 km of coastline, Maine is known not only for its picturesque rocky coastline scenery but for its seafood cuisine especially lobsters and clams and we all made sure we made the most out of it throughout our entire trip! Overly content with our superb lunch we went on board en route to Camden where we docked for the night. 

After some local shopping and exploring its charming village we wrapped the day with cool beers, good music and a swim at sunset next to Curtis Island light house (bliss...) followed by dinner at Atlantica Restaurant  overlooking the harbor. The next morning we continued our trip all the way to 700 Acre Island, Darkharbour where we had dinner at A.'s unique friend's house, E.  excentric free spirited man who shares his time between his breathtaking house isolated from the world and his boutique hotel in Mexico (which I shall CLIP about soon). On our last day we went to Smith Cove to a beautiful place called Castine, known for its legacy as one of the European conquests during the 17th, 18th and 19th centuries and today a destination which is often missed by the tourism-type visitor. Luckily for us our knowledgeable captain M. made sure we were in the know as it the perfect destination for the traveler more interested in peaceful substance and unique hidden islands. It was also where the super  enthusiastic and athletic G. evidently got his kayak ready for another expedition day.  Before flying back our dear friend (talented Chef) and resourceful A. discovered the quite impressive antique airplane and automobile museum just 2 minutes away from the airport, so we manage to visit before flying back home; all under the photographic documentary supervision of W. who made sure we wouldn't miss a thing (really).

And off we went ---back to NYC where lights sometimes overshadow what the eye should truly capture, sounds are louder than our thoughts, silence is rare, and the "maine" point of view for many is more. Well to me less will always be Maine, so thank you for a great trip A., G., W., M. & D. 




CLIP-IT: After talking with some of the locals, I was advised to read "MaineMag" look under their online version for the latest on events, music, markets, where to eat and where to stay. 
Below our navigation route in case you ever decide to take this trip....



 "All I could see from where I stood was three long mountains and a wood, I turned and looked the other way and saw three islands in a bay. So with my eyes I traced the line of the horizon, thin and fine, straight around till I was come back to where I'd started from".

Edna St. Vincent Millay




3 comments: